Sony Pictures became the first studio to apply for Nevada’s new motion picture tax credit last month, when it requested $4.2 million in credits to film the sequel to Paul Blart: Mall Cop in Las Vegas at the Wynn. Is this a match made in heaven or the making of an epically bad date?
Why filming the sequel at the Wynn would be awesome:
1. Like or hate the movie, everyone knows the name Paul Blart, just like everyone knows the name Wynn. Not to mention, Kevin James is one of the most bankable movie stars out there. This is a dream movie/star/casino brand matchup.
2. Paul Blart’s character is overweight and likes to drink a bit too much. Las Vegas was built for this guy!
3. A Segway! In the Wynn! Steve doesn’t even allow strollers in this place. Tear it up, Paul! —Ken Miller
Why filming the sequel at the Wynn would be awful:
1. The name Blart connotes lowbrow, slapstick humor. The name Wynn connotes sophisticated, luxury hospitality. This is a branding/marketing/reputation nightmare.
2. Vegas may have been built for Blartian visitors, but it’s the town’s sexy reputation that entices them to come stay. A drunken security guard in no way embodies our “what-happens-here-stays-here” vibe.
3. A Segway! In the Wynn! Steve doesn’t even allow strollers in this place. Get that damn thing out of here, Paul! —Sarah Feldberg