1. The apple fritter is not really a doughnut, yet it elevates the world of doughnutdom. Discuss.
2. You know it’s a great apple fritter when it has those crispy, knobby parts.
3. Speaking of crispy, knobby parts, old-fashioned doughnuts. With chocolate.
4. You don’t have to choose between coconut and sprinkles; you can have both.
5. Almost all the non-cake doughnuts at Ronald’s are vegan, which is ridiculous.
6. Old men drink coffee and read papers here in the morning, a mark of a true, non-trendy doughnut shop.
7. A dozen costs $7.50. That’s absurd. Might as well get four … dozen.
8. Ronald’s bear claw: as big as an actual bear’s claw, but much tastier.
9. The only thing fancy about Ronald’s is the melt-in-your-mouth French cruller, a classic.
10. Most days, Ronald’s opens at 4 a.m., which means when you’re done at the club and considering calling it a night, you might want to reconsider.
11. “What flavor is the orange one?” “It’s orange.”
12. There’s no such thing as a turnover shop, a place that sells different turnovers with one or two doughnuts. But there are cherry turnovers at Ronald’s. And thank God.
Ronald’s Donuts 4600 Spring Mountain Road, 873-1032. Monday-Friday, 4 a.m.-4 p.m.; Saturday, 5 a.m.-4 p.m.; Sunday, 5 a.m.-2 p.m.