Find a DJ
A weekend job mobile DJing in 2003 was all it took for Carla Legaspi to realize her passion and itch to transform music into a profession. Through this part-time job she learned the technical set-up and break down of a DJ system, music programming, beat-mixing and, most importantly, how to rock a party on the microphone!
Carla soon bought her own equipment at a local music store and began to practice at home, spinning mostly hip-hop. While spinning at fraternity, sorority and house parties, Carla developed her talents, and soon a close friend dubbed her DJ C-L.A.
In 2004, C-L.A. moved to Las Vegas, where she landed an enviable position as a nightclub VIP host. The move pushed the young DJ to make demos and get her talent recognized. Promoting open turntable events around town proved to be a stepping-stone for C-L.A., giving her further exposure to industry professionals and enabling her to showcase her skills among a handful of local female DJs. She proved to hold her own and her skills continued to grow. Soon C-L.A. was addicted to spinning house tracks. Groovy, funky, vocal and deep house records filled her crates, but C-L.A. knew that in the City of Sin, a versatile DJ has to go beyond one particular genre. She expanded her musical knowledge to include everything from hip-hop to mash-ups to rock to ‘80s to top 40 and house. She dabbled a bit with scratching and cutting, taught by friends, and today C-L.A. is focused on improving her skills in turntablism. In time, she will scratch next to the best of them! Years later, the itch and passion C-L.A. discovered during her first gig still burns inside her. She constantly seeks to learn from other established DJs in the industry who inspire her, and her hard work in self-promotion, through demos and networking is already paying off. C-L.A. has faith that things happen for a reason, and all the struggles and effort will be worth it as she continues to explore her love for music!
- Real name
- Carla Legaspi
- Name orgins
- Well one of my best friends gave it to me. It was when that LL Cool J song, Headsprung, was popular. It starts with They call me Big L.A., so my friend said, That should be your party song. And my name is Carla with a C, so my name became C-L.A.
- Current status
- Performing locally at Tao and Lavo with monthly residencies at Cain Luxe in New York and The Cove in the Bahamas.
- Years spinning
- Favorite place to listen
- At the clubs. Tao.
- Favorite song
- "The Light" by Common
- Past gigs
- Voodoo, Las Vegas/'08, Club Envy, Minneapolis/'07; Element, Hollywood, CA/'07; Magic Convention/'06; Revolution/'07; Club Sevilla, Riverside, CA/'06
- Marcus Wyatt, Joey Mazzola, Dirty South, E-Man, Konnex, Kid Capri
- Recommended if you like
- Cyber Kid, Exodus, Konnex
- Sounds like
- Like a roller coaster. Build it up, build it up and then slam it down.
- DJ gear
- Technics turntables, Rane TTM 56 Mixer, Serato Scratch LIVE
- Booking contact
- Carla Legaspi
DJ of the Week