Find a DJ
DJ Phat Al
DJ Phat AL is a professional disc jockey and multimedia production artist. Intrigued by the DJs during the crucial birth years of hip-hop and break dancing in the 1980's, DJing started as a hobby for Phat AL at the age of 12. Driven by a passion for music and performing while living in a small town north of Houston, Tex., DJ Phat AL taught himself how to mix, scratch and program music for what later would become his career of choice.
While drawn to the early years of hip-hop, DJ Phat AL also recorded the early radio mix shows on cassettes. This was the best education available at the time for a small town boy, but listening and trying to figure out what many others had already mastered was a very lonely journey. Throughout high school it was music/video production and DJing along with skateboarding and comedy that kept the young man sane.
Although now a regular on the nightclub scene, DJ Phat AL started DJing publicly at a local bowling alley and then worked his way up to nightclubs. Working professionally in clubs since 1994, DJ Phat AL has been all over the Houston nightclub scene, even producing a show that was broadcast live on the radio from two different nightclubs over three years in the Houston market.
Through the years, DJ Phat AL has always tried to be a pioneer, looking for better ways to entertain and produce a better show. He has been video programming in nightclubs since 1999 and mixing videos using turntables since 2006. Using his own exclusive video remixes and edits add flavor to his unique performances, in which he mixes music video live using timecode vinyl technology with turntables. DJ Phat AL currently resides in Las Vegas and has showcased his video mix show at numerous local venues.
In addition to spinning in nightclubs, DJ Phat AL is the Director of DJ Entertainment at Entertainment Planners, Inc. where he works with multimedia production and other disc jockey entertainment.
- Real name
- Albert Trevino
- Name orgins
- When I was a kid, people would make fun of me and call me Fat Albert. So, I thought I'd be clever, before it was the cool way to spell it, and spell it Phat. Childhood nickname.
- Current status
- Performing locally
- Las Vegas
- Years spinning
- Favorite place to listen
- Revolution Lounge, Thursday nights
- Favorite song
- "American Boy" by Estelle ft. Kanye West
- Past gigs
- Golden Nugget/'07-present; Polly Esther's/'07; RA Sushi/'07; Brian O's Neil's Irish Pub, Houston, TX/'06-'07; Drink Houston Nightclub/'03-'06; Polly Esther's, Houston, TX/'99-'03; Max's 2001, Houston, TX/'98-'99; NiteMoves, Houston, TX/'97-'98; Tampico Bay, Houston, TX/'94, '98; Trio Nightclub, Houston, TX/'97; 17th Street Bar, Houston, TX/'95-'97; Celebrity's Nightclub, Houston, TX/'94-'95
- House, classic rock, hip-hop
- DJ gear
- Technic 1200s, Ecler mixer, Rane mixer, lap tops
- Booking contact
- DJ Phat Al
DJ of the Week
- DJ C-L.A.
- Performing locally at Tao ...
A weekend job mobile DJing in 2003 was all it took for Carla Legaspi to ...