Find a DJ
DJ Steele & Godfrey
In the mad laboratory of Las Vegas, electronic music fans’ enthusiasm for good beats and a memorable stage presence fused two unique musical talents into a vibrant force to be reckoned with. That force is Steele & Godfrey.
Hailing from the Pacific Northwest, the two came to Las Vegas not knowing each other, but it wasn’t long before their shared love of music brought them together and a lasting friendship and business partnership formed. Although they had built separate successful reputations, the two met even greater success when they became a duo known for its unprecedented stage persona and novel sound.
“Our mixes play off of each other,” Godfrey said, “Just like we play off the audience.”
The Steele & Godfrey style is representative of the artists’ individual personalities. Steele incorporates a funky nostalgic sound reminiscent of musical influences of the 1980s. Godfrey, on the other hand, experiments in his home studio, producing futuristic progressive sounds that challenge the way electronica fans think about musical cohesion.
Perhaps what really distinguishes this pair is their employment of a mascot. “No other deejays have a mascot,” Godfrey said, “He’s been to all of our gigs.”
The Steele & Godfrey mascot is none other than a pint-sized rubber chicken, affectionately called “Chicken Man.” The drug store item has managed to acquire its own following, evidenced by the smudged fingerprints covering its limber body.
“Yeah, we found him begging for change at Walgreens,” Steele recalled, “He claims he was once a big name in the industry, so far he’s been a hell of a manager.”
- Real name
- Brandon A. Godfrey, Toby Dziub
- Name orgins
- He (Steele) came over one day, I barely even knew the guy, and we started mixing records and our styles blended so well we decided it'd be better if we only played together. We were contemplating names and then we thought the steele and the godfrey sounds like a really hardcore industrial liquor. It really kind of exposes my underlying geek. It came from a book in 1995 before I started DJing. I was really into video games and there was a character in a book named Stele and he was a pilot and I really liked the character so I started using the last name when I was gaming as Steele.
- Current status
- We've started an online record label and we're releasing our own stuff on it
- Las Vegas
- Favorite place to listen
- Godfrey: Tabu, Teatro; Steele: The Baltic Room, Seattle, WA
- Favorite song
- Godfrey: Down Down Tangerine, Steele: Pendlum Slam
- Favorite place to play
- Empire Ballroom
- Past gigs
- Release the Evil, Seattle/07, Empire Ballroom/07-present, Gimmick/08-present, Foundation/07, Aruba/08-present,
- godfrey - Paul Van Dyke, Photek, Carl Cox Steele: Paul Oakenfold, Astral Projections, Sander Van Doorn
- Recommended if you like
- Oscar Molina, The Funky Pipe, Chris Garcia, Justin Sayne, Joel Roberts
- Sounds like
- Progressive sensual, Soulful.
- DJ gear
- Pioneer CDJs, Technics 1200s, Pioneer 800,
- Keyboard, Trumpet
- Stainless Digital
- Booking contact
- DJ Steele & Godfrey
DJ of the Week