Best in Print
- Water wise
- In the middle of a drought, in the middle of the desert … where do we stand? read article
- Gonged but not forgotten
- Behind the scenes with the Vegas contingent of Comedy Central’s revamped “Gong Show” read article
- Freaky and Fabulous
- The Vegas contestants of “The Gong Show” with Dave Attell read article
- The Gibbons follies(1 comment)
- It’s ridiculous, just plain ridiculous to assume that Gov. Jim Gibbons used any political influence to receive a special designation that lowered his annual property ... more
- Taxing argument(1 comment)
- Here’s the deal, folks: We need higher taxes. There, I said it. And (gulp) I mean it. We need them because we can’t budget-cut ($1 ... more
- I’m sitting at the lobby bar of the undeniably pretty Trump International Hotel on a Sunday evening about to tuck into a $21 burger and ... more
- No country for old shoppers
- When was the last time you read a John Updike novel cover to cover in a single sitting? Or even a John Updike book jacket ... more
- The Help Desk
- Naked man hijacks Las Vegas bus. Well, he would have to; no pockets for change. Starbucks to close five Las Vegas shops this month. Damn! ... more
- Bottle Rockin’ It
- “The wine area is mobbed. Way busier than last time,” the text message reads. I’m off bridesmaiding in New Jersey, but an enlisted spy keeps ... more
- Scotty, Scotty, he’s our man!
- “What happens at the Ball … stays with you forever.” With a motto like that, it’s understandable why the Exotic Erotic Strippers & Hustlers Ball, ... more
- In the mix
- Gas prices are impeding party funds. We’re thinking twice about ordering another $15 cocktail at the club. Even lap dances in the VIP lounge are ... more
- Coca-Cola WE8
- Calm down, caffeine fiends—Coke hasn’t gone and changed its magic formula or anything like that. But for a short time, at least the bottles will ... more
Arts & Entertainment
- ‘The Hive will open’
- It’s sweltering inside The Hive, but not because the dance floor is packed with bodies. more
- In the building with “Elvis”
- Brendan Scholz is a man of few words. Or, more accurately, the Lydia Vance vocalist/guitarist is a man of few short-term plans. more
- Four questions with The Zombies’ Colin Blunstone
- Spencer Patterson interviews lead singer Colin Blunstone of the 60’s British hit rock band The Zombies. more
- Talk of the Town
- Call Halloween Town a local supergroup if you want, but its leader prefers a different term. more
- At last, the black night
- You understand fully that it will not be a typical show when a horn player grabs a scarred metal flask and asks, “Is this the ... more
- Enveloped in darkness
- “Why so serious?” wonders the poster tagline—invoking, ironically enough, the very question that moviegoers will likely be asking as they emerge from the theater. Batman ... more
- Holy List, Batman!
- As “The Dark Knight” soars into theaters this week, we’ve combed through the lengthy archives of Batman lore to create our list of the caped ... more
- Mamma Mia!
- I remember reading years ago that when John Woo was making Mission: Impossible II, he conceived the action scenes first and then had the screenwriter ... more
- The Singing Revolution
- The tiny Eastern European nation of Estonia gets its moment in the spotlight with The Singing Revolution, a blandly positive documentary about the nonviolent action ... more
- Space Chimps
- After seeing Pixar’s dazzling, creative and heartfelt WALL-E, it’s a serious crash back down to Earth to watch Space Chimps, the clumsy, unfunny and aesthetically ... more
- Brick Lane
- Residents of the actual Brick Lane, a London thoroughfare inhabited mostly by Bangladeshi immigrants, turned out in droves to protest this filmed adaptation of Monica ... more
- Food by the Yard
- The network of overhead pipes above you carries the world’s largest selection of draft beers, up to 250 delicious brews. And the menu seems almost as encyclopedic, as if the world’s largest selection of dishes were on hand to accompany them.
- Girl Talk
- Girl Talk—aka Pittsburgh biomedical engineer Gregg Gillis—elevated the concept of the mash-up to an art form on 2006’s Night Ripper.
- John Mellencamp
- His latest album may be coming out on the Starbucks-owned Hear Music label, and his last hit may have been the soundtrack to a Chevy commercial, but John Mellencamp sounds ...
- Nas is cursed. Ever since the release of 1994’s seminal Illmatic, the Queensbridge representer has faced impossibly high expectations.
Xania's Hot Spots - Download This Week's Special Events
Download and print Xania's Club Grid
JULY 17 - JULY 23
Cocktail of the Week
Jul 17, 2008
by Xania Woodman
Calm down, caffeine fiends—Coke hasn’t gone and changed its magic formula or anything like that. But for a short time, at least the bottles will be available in some very ...