Painting the town: an annotation
Taking a closer look at “Viva Las Vegas,” a new work by Thomas Kinkade, “painter of light”
Thu, Jun 18, 2009 (midnight)
1) There’s a marquee featuring the Rat Pack (in front of the Hooters-Kinkade hotel) and a sign for Liberace ... and, under Kinkade’s signature, the name of another frequent Vegas visitor, John 3:16.
2) The artist has named a hotel after himself. Hooters hotel, of course.
3) Man in car: “Painter of light, my ass. How about painter of light traffic?”
4) Somewhere out there, Oscar Goodman is trying to push his way into focus.
5) Elvis on a blimp? Really, Thomas Kinkade, a fat joke in 2009?
6) Poor Monte Carlo—apparently not Viva enough for this Las Vegas!
7) This is where a little street we call the Strip would be if ..
8) ... Kinkade hadn’t made Tropicana the new Las Vegas Boulevard. We always thought the Fabulous Las Vegas sign would look better here anyway.