Five podcasts worth your time
Wed, Jan 12, 2011 (8:40 p.m.)
• The Nerdist This show about all things nerd usually turns into Chris Hardwick & Co. interviewing famous friends and offering a hilarious behind-the-scenes look at the entertainment business. Try: No. 22 (Craig Ferguson live at Largo).
• All Songs Considered This self-described “place to discover music” prides itself on giving exposure to music that doesn’t normally get airtime. The show features album reviews, artist interviews and performances recorded live in host Bob Boilen’s office. Try: 12/14/10 (The Listeners Pick).
• Doug Loves Movies Perma-stoned host Doug Benson and a rotating cast of guests discuss movies and pop culture in front of a live audience. One highlight: guests play the Leonard Maltin game, trying to guess movies by casts—in reverse order of stardom. Try: 10/29/10 (Nick Swardson).
• Radio Lingua Network If your New Year’s resolution was to learn a new language, start here. Offering more than 30 languages, it’s a fun and innovative way to begin. Try: Coffee Break Spanish.
• A Life Well Wasted On the surface, this is a podcast about video games. After one episode you’ll realize it’s closer to This American Life, providing an in-depth look at the culture and people surrounding the gamer lifestyle. Try: Episode 6 (Big Ideas).