Five thoughts on the Social Distortion concert
Wed, Jan 26, 2011 (5:48 p.m.)
1. Chuck Ragan should open every punk show. The Hot Water Music man has a great, gritty voice, his lyrics are packed with meaning and his fiddle player’s Civil War-style beard appears to be fused to his instrument.
2. Everyone who’s anointed The Hold Steady America’s Best Bar Band: Have you seen Lucero? Tough, twangy Southern punk.
3. Sounds great on the HOB floor, but when did it get so muddy along the sides of the venue? I can’t understand a word from Mike Ness’ mouth.
4. How do you spell oversold? T-O-N-I-G-H-T. It’s no fun fighting through bodies to get to the bathroom or bar, to say nothing of actually getting a decent vantage point.
5. Three sold-out nights for Social D … really? Solid band, solid catalog, but in 2011? Interesting groups come through town constantly, lots playing to empty rooms. I guess I don’t get it.