5 reasons to see Calvin Harris at Surrender this Sunday
Fri, May 25, 2012 (7:11 p.m.)
Photo: Danny Mahoney
5. He collaborated with Vegas boy Ne-Yo for “Let’s Go,” released in late April. The infectious dance tune is a seriously good time, and the video trailer features a shirtless Ne-Yo boxing. Thanks, Calvin.
4. He’s no one-trick pony. Does he DJ? Yes, but he also writes songs and produces for the lives of Kylie Minogue, Ke$ha and Rihanna. Want us to name drop s’more? Scissor Sisters, Tiësto, Dizzee Rascal, Mary J. Blige and LMFAO. Phew.
3. He is the biggest thing since fish and chips in the UK. No, really. Industry trade magazine Music Week named Calvin Harris the top hitmaker of 2011 in the UK thanks to chart topping songs like “Bounce” and “Feel So Close” and songwriting credit for Rihanna’s No. 1 hit “We Found Love.” That means he bested beehived sensation Adele and mama monster Lady Gaga herself.
2. His Twitter feed only makes us love him more. @CalvinHarris makes his own egg-white omelets, admits to tweeting from a plane about tweeting on a plane and retweets his fans regularly. Cheers.
1. He’s got a thing for Las Vegas. Not only does the Scottish DJ hold down a three-venue residency for Wynn/Encore, but he also tapped the city for the first single off debut album I Created Disco, appropriately dubbed “Vegas.” “I've got my car, and my ride, and my wheels, when I go to Vegas,” Harris sings on the track. “I've got my drugs, and my stuff, and my pills. I've got my girls, and my boys, and my girls.” Which sounds a bit like Memorial Day Weekend, now that we think about it.