Five things I wrote in my notebook at the Deftones’ House of Blues concert
Wed, Nov 21, 2012 (midnight)
Singer Chino Moreno provided his guitar skills on “Digital Bath.”
- November 18, House of Blues
1. “Guns, razors, knives” (the chorus from “Rocket Skates,” off 2010’s Diamond Eyes) is a pretty awesome thing to get the audience to chant.
2. “Change (In the House of Flies),” from 2000’s White Pony, remains the band’s only mainstream hit, but it fit unobtrusively into the back half of the set, with audience response just as enthusiastic as for plenty of the non-hits.
3. The ethereal “Digital Bath,” with singer Chino Moreno on guitar and soundscapes from DJ/keyboardist Frank Delgado, sounded epic in the packed House of Blues, and was the highlight of the show.
4. Bassist Sergio Vega, who’s been filling in for Chi Cheng since Cheng’s debilitating 2008 car accident, was an energetic presence throughout the show and offered vital back-up screams during “Engine No. 9.”
5. Moreno did a good job of tackling Maynard James Keenan’s guest vocals on “Passenger,” but a Keenan guest appearance would have been the perfect capper to a top-notch show.
Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino
Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino is a unique destination resort set on 120 lush acres on the Las Vegas Strip. The resort offers three distinct hotel experiences: Mandalay Bay, a AAA Four Diamond award-winning hotel, with 3,211 luxurious rooms and suites reflecting a modern tropical ambiance; Four Seasons Hotel, a AAA Five Diamond hotel-within-a-hotel, offering 424 rooms and suites; and the stand-alone all-suite THEhotel which will be redesigned and rebranded Delano Las Vegas in late 2013.
Mandalay Bay boasts an 11-acre tropical pool paradise, featuring real sand, a wave pool and the only climate-controlled, poolside gaming in the city.
Other property highlights include world-class entertainment at the 12,000-seat Mandalay Bay Events Center, award-winning dining by celebrity chefs and restaurateurs, Shark Reef Aquarium and the 1.7-million-square-foot Mandalay Bay Convention Center.
Mandalay Bay’s offerings also include BATHHOUSE Spa, House of Blues Concert Hall and restaurant, and The Shoppes at Mandalay Place, a collection of unique boutiques and restaurants.
In 2013, Mandalay Bay will become home to a resident Cirque du Soleil production based on the music and choreography of the King of Pop, Michael Jackson.
3950 S. Las Vegas Blvd.
House of Blues
Incorporating flavors from all over the world, noted celebrity chef Aarón Sanchez has created comfort food that's classic, bold and contemporary, including new signature dishes such as shrimp and grits, chile braised short ribs and street tacos. Surrounded by the unique folk art that fills the walls, Crossroads at House of Blues is the place where food, music and art intersect.
On Sundays, House of Blues serves up their World Famous Gospel Brunch® with great food and live entertainment. Showtimes are at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. For tickets call the House of Blues Box Office at 702-632-7600.
3950 S. Las Vegas Boulevard