Events guide: Spring break 2013 parties and deals
Wed, Feb 27, 2013 (8 p.m.)
Photo: Dave Proctor
MTV's Spring Break may not be returning to Las Vegas, but that doesn't mean our town is any less of a destination for college students looking to have a little fun. Local casinos, bars and restaurants roll out the red carpet for spring breakers looking to eat, drink and play on a budget.
• The Palms presents Destination Spring Break over the month of March featuring a $69 hosted bar package, which includes complimentary admission and all-you-can drink at Ghostbar and Moon Nightclub. Sponsored options include Russian Standard Vodka, Red Bull, Bacardi and champagne. Students can use the code SPRINGBREAK to receive this discounted ticket price for the night; gratuity is included. Students with a valid student ID can enjoy $5 Miller Lites and $8 Absolut cocktails in March at Ghostbar (including GBDC), Moon and Palms Pool & Bungalows. Special room rates start at $69 and feature a $50 room credit, which can’t be used toward the hosted bar package. Additionally, N9NE Steakhouse and NOVE Italiano offer special spring break three-course prix-fixe menus from 5-7 p.m., which also include bottomless wine pairings.
- Ghostbar’s new ladies night launches Wednesday with beats by DJ Presto One. Fans of Hello Kitty should arrive early, as a swag bag full of the Sanrio feline’s products go to the first 25 ladies who check in at the club’s gifting table.
- Palms Pool officially opens its doors for the 2013 season March 15 with a Destination Spring Break party featuring free entry.
- On March 12, all that you love about Ghostbar Day Club is going to Moon Nightclub for its first After Dark party. Remember your neon colors and enjoy music from Exodus and Alie Layus.
- Taboo of the Black Eyed Peas performs at Moon Nightclub.
- Ghostbar hosts a special St. Patty's Day Edition of GBDC, which will be on a Sunday for this one-time event. Enjoy a Miller Lite hosted bar form 1-2 p.m., green champagne and sexy leprechauns.
- Ghostbar Day Club hosts a '90s-themed bash with music from iconic mixmaster DJ Jazzy Jeff.
- Ghostbar hosts Ladies Night on March 20 featuring a Carlos by Carlos Santana Gifting Suite and sounds by Kid Conrad.
• Rockhouse, at the Grand Canal Shoppes at the Venetian, offers Spring Broke drink specials through March 31. Guests with valid college ID can get complimentary entry before midnight, along with two-for-one domestic drafts and well cocktails, and $5 shots. An all-day open bar is priced at $50.
- New weekly entertainment includes Winner Circle Wednesdays, Rockhouse’s weekly beer pong tournament from 7 p.m. until close. Along with classic bar games, patrons will “Flip It To Win It” on Wednesdays by flipping a customized Rockhouse coin to win half-priced cocktails.
- Prohibition Thursdays offers half-price cover and cocktails priced at $5, from 7 p.m. until close. Every Thursday guests will gain access with a password that will be given out on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Las Vegas locals and military with valid ID will get complimentary entry before midnight.
• Senor Frog’s Las Vegas offers a weekly lineup through the end of March of specials for students with college ID. Drink specials are as follows:
- Mondays: $3 PBRs & AMFs, Sex on the Beach & house tequila shots
- Tuesdays: Draft beer & margarita open bar from 9 - 11 p.m., $10 for señoritas & $20 for señors
- Wednesdays: Glow Party from 9 p.m. - 4 a.m. including the following drink specials from 9 p.m. - midnight: $3 Gummy Frogs, AMFs and Sex on the Beach shots, $5 PBRs, $6 well drinks, & $7 Jagermeister, Fireball & Ambhar tequila shots. Ladies can enjoy a complimentary open bar from 9 - 11 p.m.
- Thursdays: Partygoers will fiesta their way back in time with Throwback Thursdays.
- Fridays: Enjoy Frog’s Friday for a second-level patio party from 3 - 7 p.m. with two-for-one margaritas and half-priced appetizers
- Sundays: Señor’s Sunday Funday will give students two-for-one drinks for their first round with a “check-in” on Foursquare or Facebook or tweet using the @SenorFrogsVegas handle. Students must present their check-in or post at the hostess stand to receive the voucher and will be limited to one voucher per person.
The restaurant will also offer food specials every day for students with signature dishes including chicken Caesar salad, cheeseburger with fries, chicken fettuccine Alfredo or the barbecue chicken with fries.
- $20: Students under the age of 21 can enjoy a choice of any of the four dishes plus a yard of a soda or a smoothie.
- $25: Students can select one of the four entrées along with a yard of draft beer or margarita.
- $35: Beer drinkers will enjoy a “Big Ass” draft beer and choice of the selected entrées.
• Public House Las Vegas at Luxor offers students $3 Coors Light and Bud Light drafts, half-priced signature cocktails including the Sin City Sunrise and $5 Bar Bites including cheesesteak spring rolls, mac and cheese squares and short rib tacos.
• Trevi inside the Forum Shops at Caesars welcomes spring breakers with food and drink specials Sunday through Friday from 2 to 6 p.m. through Mar. 29.
College students can enjoy $6 Trevi Bites including tomato bruschetta, fresh stuffed mushrooms, fried calamari, Romano chicken sliders, homemade meatballs and mini stuffed cheeseburgers. Drink specials include $3 classic frozen Bellinis; $4 beers including Corona, Heineken, Peroni and Sam Adams; $6 wines by the glass such as 14 Hands Chardonnay, Da Vinci Chianti and Red Rock Merlot; and $6 signature martinis including the Trevitini, Mela, Limone and Negroni Martini.
• Crazy Horse III celebrates spring break from Saturday through March 23. Students can enjoy Three Olives Vodka cocktails for $5 and buckets of four Budweiser and Bud Light bottles for $20, with the presentation of a school ID card from 7 to 9 p.m.
• Shine Alternative Fitness offers college students a 15 percent discount on general and specialty classes starting. The new student discount will be ongoing with the presentation of a valid school ID card, allowing students discounted prices on variety of classes including Pole Fitness, Hip Hop, Aerial Arts, AntiGravity Yoga, Xtreme Boxing and Salsa. Shine’s roster of instructors includes top industry champions and past and present Cirque performers.
• Tacos & Tequila at Luxor hosts a spring break fiesta with food and drink specials available Friday through March 31. The month-long offerings include the “Seis y Seis” package with six specialty tacos and six bottled Sol beers, priced at $29. Students can also enjoy a $5 menu daily, from 11 a.m. - 6 p.m., featuring chicken quesadillas, habañero chicken wings, beer, well drinks and more.
Other specials include $18 buckets of six bottled Sol beers, $3 Jell-O shots available only at the daiquiri bar and $15 tequila flights that allow guests to choose three, 1 ounce pours from five tequila selections including Jose Cuervo, Cabo Wabo, Don Julio, Avion and Patron. T&T’s “Chonga, She’s Back,” a giant frozen margarita, served with two upside down 7 ounce Sol beers is priced at $20 and Dos Equis and Patron shots are $5. These specials are available every Friday and Saturday, from 7:30-10:30 p.m.
• Hard Rock Hotel & Casino offers the “Breakin’ Vegas” deal valid through Thursday, April 18. This package includes rooms starting at $199 per night with $199 in drink credits per day on property. Drink credits are valid throughout the resort at participating casino and pool bars. In addition, patrons receive 20 percent off food purchases at select restaurants as well as complimentary entry into the newly reopened Body English Nightclub & Afterhours. To receive this promotional rate, book online or by phone (800-343-4346) with the code HBREAK3.
• Rhumbar’s Caribbean patio will transform into a spring break paradise with daytime DJs and daily happy hour specials from 1 – 6 p.m. Rum punch cocktails, Coors Light bottles and vodka mixed drinks are $5 as well as domestic beer buckets for $20. Partygoers can enjoy $8 house selection cigars, a variety of hookah flavors and the Chonga, a 32 ounce margarita with two upside down 7 ounce Coronitas, for $18. The lounge and patio are open from noon until 1 a.m. Sunday through Wednesday, and noon until 2 a.m. Thursday through Saturday.
• Minus5 Ice Bar at Monte Carlo. Offers college students with valid school ID to enjoy the VIP treatment. With purchase of a two cocktail package (which includes frosty cocktails served in cups made from 100% New Zealand ice, use of a parka or faux fur coat, gloves and boots during the visit), guests will receive a free Minus5 baseball cap while supplies last.
• MGM Grand:
- Rooms starting at $79.
- Complimentary admission to Wet Republic on Thursday and Monday.
- 20 percent off Grand Spa at MGM Grand and Cristophe Salon.
• Mandalay Bay:
- Rooms starting at $75.
- $50 cabana credit for Mandalay Bay Beach.
- Complimentary Grilled Corn Plazero with purchase of one entrée at Hussong’s Cantina.
- Complimentary bruschetta with purchase of one entrée at Slice of Vegas.
• Monte Carlo:
- Rooms starting at $70.
- Two-for-one domestic draft beers at Big Chill.
- Two-for-one raft rentals at the pool.
- Two-for-one entrées at The Café.
- Rooms starting at $68.
- Two-for-one admission to the Roller Coaster.
- Two-for-one breakfast at Il Fornaio.
- 50 percent off daybed rentals at the pool.
- Rooms starting at $42.
- 15 percent off Glow and Bronze Spray Tan Package at Nurture – Spa and Salon.
- 15 percent off any purchase at Rice & Company.
- Complimentary admission to LAX Nightclub.
- Rooms starting at $30.
- 10 percent off retail items at the Spa.
- Two-for-one drafts and tequila shots at Dick’s Last Resort.
- 25 percent off any one purchase at Kids of the Kingdom or Dragon’s Lair.
• MGM Resorts properties:
Guests are invited to participate in the official Spring Break Unleashed Pub Crawl Challenge featuring 15 bars throughout five of the six resorts. A pub crawl score card will be provided to guests along with their itinerary. Each participant must purchase a minimum of one drink at six of the participating bars to receive a stamp and a well-deserved trophy: a Spring Break Unleashed trucker hat.
• MGM Resorts Pools: The Grand Pool Complex at MGM Grand is now open. Pool season at the Mirage and New York-New York will officially kick off Friday and Mandalay Bay Beach and Luxor Pool open Monday.
Guests can enjoy six-foot-tall waves and bury their feet in the sand at the 11-acre Mandalay Bay Beach or gather some friends and hit the sand volleyball pit at the Pool at Monte Carlo. The newly revamped Pool at New York-New York features more deck space, refreshed cabanas and a whirlpool. For the ultimate relaxation, guests can enjoy the lazy rivers at the Grand Pool Complex at Mandalay Bay Beach or the Pool at Monte Carlo.