1. Plenty of mainstream country acts play Las Vegas, but we rarely get to see alt-country acts here, so it was encouraging to see the Cosmo book raspy-voiced singer-songwriter Ryan Bingham, even with a fairly small turnout.
2. Still, there were plenty of hardcore Bingham fans in the audience, yelling out song titles and singing along with every word.
3. Fiddle player Richard Bowden was the MVP of Bingham’s band, tearing it up on songs like “Southside of Heaven” and “Tell My Mother I Miss Her So” (which Bingham introduced as “a hoedown”).
4. Bingham himself engaged in some pretty impressive slide guitar, and a few songs stretched out into extended (but not too extended) jams.
5. Although he won both an Oscar and a Grammy for “The Weary Kind” from 2009 movie Crazy Heart, Bingham left it out of the short 80-minute set. Maybe he can play it next time, if he ever makes it back to town.