Best in Print
- Take the Gibbons test
- The Jim/Dawn Gibbons divorce saga has quickly become a reason for living if you’re a Nevada resident who even dares to pick up the daily ... more
- Custard’s last stand
- This is my first visit to Luv-It Frozen Custard, a bastion of Las Vegas decadence, and I have a blast treating myself to a tasty ... more
- Film fanatic
- There are two reactions I get when [people] learn about CineVegas. Most, four out of five people, really get it. It makes perfect sense because ... more
- The Manilow Principle
- About 15 minutes into Barry Manilow’s Music & Passion show at the Las Vegas Hilton last week, I received a mocking text message from my ... more
- Terms of endearment
- Much is currently being made of the attempt to enact term limits, passed in 1996, on many of the Valley’s elected officials. That got us ... more
- Desert Divide
- The 20-year-old woman walked into Rick Aco’s restaurant, a sad look covering her face. It had been almost two weeks since Zulma Yessenia-Pena lost her ... more
- Must-see reform
- For years, Hollywood celebrities have fought to keep us healthy by enjoying sumptuous $1,500-a-plate meals at lavish benefit galas, auctioning off their old shoes to ... more
- The Help Desk
- Don King and Emeril Lagasse get spots in the Gaming Hall of Fame. Organizers decided the current hall didn’t have enough big hair and “Bam!” ... more
- Nervous Nitelife, chicks with decks and a battle royale
- Chicks with Decks: Kicking off the month of sexy guest she-jays will be Ukrainian-born Maxim magazine hottie DJ Loli. more
- Oh, Shoot!
- “Jeremy!” Yet another go-go dancer mounts photographer Jeremy Womack for a one-armed cuddle, while his other hand cradles his beloved camera. more
- Jessica Snook
- A hometown girl! Jessica enjoys what is quite possibly one of the sexiest jobs in this sexy city of ours. more
Arts & Entertainment
- Record time
- Though a dedicated handful waited outside this May 30 morning like pale, black-clad puppies, the calls and in-person inquiries at Eastern and Flamingo have been ... more
- Rev-ving up
- For the past four years, the Maloof brothers have listened to demos from enough bands to fill every room in their Palms hotel. None impressed ... more
- Book ’em, Roxy
- Booking manager Roxy Amoroso is stressing, and it’s not yet 9:30 p.m. There’s a bartender trying to enforce parking restrictions while her bands are trying ... more
- Fight Plan
- Let’s just get this out of the way in the interest of full disclosure: I’m a huge fan of mixed martial arts, in particular the ... more
- Nice piece of glass
- What makes a thing erotic? What magical components conspire to make the sum of an object’s parts seductive? Sexy is a one-liner: in your face, ... more
- Sex and the suburbs
- With the sexual revolution in full swing, so to speak, the show’s adventurous suburbanites explore such racy activities as group sex and partner-swapping, while their ... more
- 6.66 reasons to see “virtual” metal band Dethklok
- 1. Gore; lots and lots of gore. 2. The bowel-shaking gravel of singer Nathan Explosion’s vocals. 3. Their album The Dethalbum is the highest-charting cartoon ... more
- Strip it good
- In an estrogen-rich room, I am full of testosterone. I want to ace this course. I want to prove my sexual prowess, assert my feminine ... more
- Let there be light
- Sadly, it’s no longer enough for hotels to have hip boutiques and ultralounges—and, even worse, we may be at the point where fancy-pants homeowners need ... more
- Anarchy in the LV
- Before beginning a 25-date European and Japanese summer tour, the reunited U.K. punk godfathers—original lineup: Johnny Rotten, Steve Jones, Glen Matlock and Paul Cook—will perform ... more
- Homemade Charm
- Imagine the wide-eyed little boy from Witness abruptly transformed into Rushmore’s precocious Max Fischer, and then further imagine that oddball juxtaposition as rendered with a ... more
- You Don’t Mess With the Zohan
- Unlike nearly every Adam Sandler movie in recent memory, You Don’t Mess With the Zohan isn’t overloaded with sappy sentiment, and it doesn’t end with ... more
- Kung Fu Panda
- Kung Fu Panda opens with a dynamic and visually striking dream sequence, in which ancient Chinese panda Po (voiced by Black) imagines himself a great ... more
- Bra Boys
- Though the title implies otherwise, Bra Boys is neither an ’80s sex romp nor a cross-dressing exposé. The documentary does, however, concern porn: the little-known ... more
- Middle East melange
- Two restaurants using the buzzword “Mediterranean” to describe their respective cuisines sit in a modest upper Charleston Boulevard mall. Both of them serve food that is more Middle Eastern than anything else, but that label still carries a stigma as far as owners are concerned—or so it would seem.
- From across the world, right next door
- The food here is as authentic as any Persian cooking I’ve eaten in this city. Isn’t Iran on the shores of the Caspian? You could’ve fooled me.
- Eat like a top chef
- We asked Vegas’ own Top Chef alums to spill on where they go for a good meal in town. From the poshest of the posh to strip mall gems, follow their suggestions and you’ll be dining like a top chef.
- I want to be a star
- You’d think watching Gordon Ramsay curse out lowly waffle-flippers on Hell’s Kitchen would be enough to deter anyone from a career in the kitchen. Not so. Enrollment in culinary schools throughout the country is on the rise, powered, industry observers say, by the rising popularity of reality-television cooking shows such …
- From TV to Vegas
- Kitchen competitions have taken cable and Las Vegas by storm. Hell’s Kitchen winner (3rd season) Rock Harper and Iron Chef America competitor Akira Back spill the secrets of their prime-time moments doing battle at the cutting board.
- Is there a more underrated Los Angeles band than Earlimart? While fellow Silverlake darlings Sea Wolf and Silversun Pickups dominate the spotlight, Aaron Espinoza and Ariana Murray have spent the ...
- Sigur Rós
- Something’s rotten in Hopeland. Or, at the very least, something’s different, judging from the final track on Sigur Rós’ fifth album, Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust.
- The Watson Twins
- If your knowledge of the duo formerly known as Black Swan begins and ends with Rabbit Fur Coat—Chandra and Leigh Watson’s alt-country effort with Rilo Kiley’s Jenny Lewis—you’d be forgiven ...
Xania's Hot Spots - Download This Week's Special Events
Download and print Xania's Club Grid
JUNE 5 - JUNE 11
Cocktail of the Week
Jul 3, 2008
by Xania Woodman
“Sweet” doesn’t even begin to describe the full impact of a Dirty Blonde Cocktail, Sunday night, where five ladies and one somewhat bewildered guy sampled the DBC variety pack. The ...